Arizona vs Arizona State Notes And Quotes
Here are some pertinent notes, and quotes of Arizona vs Arizona State.
The Arizona Wildcats lost to Arizona State 24-14 in the season finale Saturday night at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe. Here are some pertinent notes, and quotes.
- ASU has won three in a row in the series for the first time since 2005-07. Arizona last won three straight from 1993-95.
- Arizona’s 14 points marked the first time either team has been held under 20 in the rivalry series since 2009. The Wildcats scored 27 points over their final three games after notching at least 27 in four of the previous five contests.
- ASU failed to score in the first quarter, marking the first time this season Arizona shut out an opponent in the opening period. The Wildcats kept the Sun Devils out of the end zone in the first half, the first time they’ve held a Pac-12 opponent without a first-half touchdown since Oregon State in 2017.
- ASU outscored Arizona 15-0 in the third quarter, when it held an 11:17-3:43 edge in time of possession. The Sun Devils possessed the ball for more than 21 minutes in the second half.
- Arizona had three sacks for the third time in its final four games. The Wildcats recorded 10 sacks in four games under Chuck Cecil after managing just seven in the first eight games.
- Kevin Sumlin fell to 9-15 in two seasons as Arizona’s coach. Counterpart Herm Edwards improved to 14-11.
- ASU tailback Eno Benjamin was named the Bob Moran Most Valuable Player for the second consecutive time, becoming the only player to win the award twice since it began in 2001. Benjamin rushed 34 times for 168 yards and two touchdowns. In two starts vs. Arizona, Benjamin has 248 yards and five TDs.
- I thought there were a couple times when Josh wasn’t going to get up. He just kept playing. Our team has a tremendous amount of respect for them as people. You can see it in their eyes during the week and during the game. They have a huge impact on this team.
- Sumlin on his message to frustrated Arizona fans: “People, including myself, care very, very deeply about this program. There are a lot of things that go into it and a lot of work that’s involved. The way you get better is through recruiting and player development. That’s where we are.
- You watch all these games, our guys don’t quit. They play hard. You start there. We’ve gotta execute better. We’ve gotta keep developing players and fix some things. That’s my job. It’s my job to fix things. I know the fans are frustrated, but believe me, we are frustrated.
- Arizona DT Finton Connolly on struggling to contain Benjamin in the second half: “They came out in the second half ready to go. D-line, we could’ve done a better job at holding our gaps and outside containment and making sure he doesn’t get up the field. Eno Benjamin, he had a pretty good game.
- Senior DB Jace Whittaker on the direction of the program under Sumlin: “I think he’s leading them in a positive direction. That’s his goal. And I think he’s a man of his word.”
- Edwards on winning for ASU’s seniors: “It means a lot to them, our fan base and our football team. I told the team before we went out that this game is all about our seniors. A lot of these guys will never play football in this stadium again, and you want to send them out winners. I thank the team for doing that.”